We are excited to announce that Beth Kauffman, MPT recently completed the LSVT® BIG certification which is an exercise treatment program focused on training people with Parkinson’s disease (PD) to use their body more normally. Beth becomes one of only a handful physical therapists in Lancaster County with this designation.
The LSVT® BIG Certification Course trains physical and occupational therapy professionals in an evidence based, intensive treatment protocol for individuals with Parkinson’s Disease. This treatment regimen requires high motivation from patients including 4 days of outpatient PT per week for 1 month and daily home exercises. This program has a set established protocol of 7 functional movement patterns and the implementation of an individualized therapeutic exercise program to meet the specific needs of each patient. The goals of the program are to emphasize large velocity movements, recalibrate the neuromuscular system, and drive neuroplasticity to improve mobility, reduce fall risk and maintain independent living.
Research¹´²´³ on LSVT® BIG has proven the efficacy of the program and shown outstanding outcomes for people with Parkinson’s Disease including:
- Faster walking with bigger steps
- Improved balance
- Increased trunk range of motion and flexibility
- Improvements in activities of daily living such as bed mobility
- Improved UPDRS Motor Score (assesses the severity of Parkinson’s Disease)
If you or a loved one is struggling with the symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease, call HARTZ Physical Therapy’s Lancaster East Office (804 New Holland Avenue, Lancaster) to schedule an appointment with Beth Kauffman, MPT.
- Ebersbach, G., Ebersbach, A., Elder, D., Kaufhold,O., Kusch, M., Kupsch, A., & Wissel, J. (2010). Comparing exercise in Parkinson’s Disease – The Berlin LSVT-BIG study. Movement Disorders, 25, 2478.
- Fox, C., Ebersbach, G., Ramig, L., & Sapir, S. (2012). LSVT LOUD and LSVT BIG: Behavioral treatment programs for speech and body movement in Parkinson’s Disease. Parkinson’s Disease, 2012, Article ID 391946, 12 pgs.
- Janssens J., Malfroid K., Nyffeler T., Bohlhalter S., Vanbellingen T. Application of LSVT BIG Intervention to Address Gait, Balance, Bed Mobility, and Dexterity in People with Parkinson’s Disease: A Case Series. Physical Therapy, 2014 Feb 20.